Monday, March 7, 2011

Blessing and Vindication

“Who may ascend the hill of the LORD? Who may stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false. He will receive blessing from the LORD and vindication from God his Savior. Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, O God of Jacob. Selah Lift up your heads, O you gates; be lifted up, you ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in. Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle. Lift up your heads, O you gates; lift them up, you ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in. Who is he, this King of glory? The LORD Almighty‑‑ he is the King of glory. Selah” (Psalm 24:3‑10).

We fight so many battles; we carry such heavy loads and, day after day, we seem to get nowhere. Wouldn't a little "vindication" be nice?

“Who may ascend the hill of the LORD?" is the question. Surely not me who is so terribly dysfunctional most of the time. Worse, because dysfunction can be excused, I purposely and stubbornly choose my own way most of the time.

"Who may stand in his holy place?" Surely not me?! Nothing as unholy as me and my mind could qualify!

'He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false'
There it is; clean hands, nope. Pure heart; not even close. Let's not even open the "searing by what is false" issue.

Does any of this surprise or disappoint God? No, He is pretty much fully aware of all my issues. He knows!

Hence: Jesus!

If I wasn't so messed up; Jesus would have been unnecessary! If the gulf between the requirements for he who could ascend God's hill and me was not so vast a simple bridge might be constructed.

No, it took Jesus and only Jesus.

On my very best days my hands are not clean and my heart is not pure. But even on my very worst days Jesus is still Jesus and His blood is still pure!

Therefore, the psalmist can encourage us to "Lift up your heads" If we would just simply understand that Jesus and His blood is enough, all of our battles would become His! "He will receive blessing from the LORD and vindication from God his Savior".

Agree with Him! Agree with Him about who you really are and agree with Him about who He is and all that He has done to qualify you to walk up that hill.







No comments: