Saturday, June 7, 2008

A Game ot Catch

A number of years ago I grew a bit frustrated with one of my children. It seemed so difficult to communicate with him regardless of how hard I tried or what subject I brought up. One day I discovered a modern parable to help my child understand my concerns.

I invited my child to grab a ball and then sit across the room from me. I asked him to roll the ball to me which he happily did thinking that we were playing a game. As I caught the ball I simply held onto to it. I didn't play with it or hide it. I just let it lay there.

It wasn't long until he grew tired of this new game and asked me to throw the ball back.

I simply smiled. His insistence grew as did my smile. After several pleas and several smiles, I simply said, "you know, when I pick you up from school and ask you "tell me about your day" and you simply say "nothing" I feel just like you just did when I didn't throw the ball back to you.

From that time on, all I had to do was mention throwing the ball back whenever we bumped into another session of nothings.

This a lengthy preamble to this week's scripture:

I permitted Myself to be sought by those who did not ask for Me; I permitted Myself to be found by those who did not seek Me. I said, "here am I, here am I," to a nation which did not call on My name. I have spread out My hands all day long to a rebellious people who walk in the way which is not good following their own thoughts, a people who continually provoke Me to MY face... Isaiah 65:1-3

Have you been holding the ball?

Sure, we are always too busy, we are always too preoccupied; too frustrated to pray.

Oops, could He be talking to me? "who walk in the way which is not good following their own thoughts".

"My thoughts are not your thoughts; neither are your ways My ways", declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

There is a widely known saying that says, "If you keep on doing what you're doing, you're going to keep on getting what you're getting". As a matter of fact we would all think a person was mentally challenged who repeatedly did the same action while expecting a different result.

So how long will we continue in the folly of pursuing our own thoughts and priorities? We should be honest enough, at least, to quit complaining about the circumstances and the situations of our lives if we choose to continue in following our own thinking.

Your God is calling out to you, "I am here; I am here". Will you respond or choose folly?

No comments: