Monday, March 15, 2010

Bought or Sold Out?

This week’s message can be a bit heavy but it is absolutely necessary for us to find the freedom that our God designed and provided for us. To lessen the affront of this message I will be addressing it to the one who needs to hear this the most.

Me!

If someone were to look at my day-to-day life, who would they say is the “boss”? I think that it is pretty easy to answer that question. It is clearly evident to me that I live like I am the one in control. Oh, sure, like almost everyone else I have others who have sway; a workplace boss and a wife have considerable input into my perceived control.

But, once again, scripture slaps me in the face:

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.
I Corinthians 6:20

“But I have responsibilities”, I mentally reply. I cannot run away from my commitments and responsibilities; that wouldn’t be right would it?

For he who was called in the Lord while a slave, is the Lord's freedman; likewise he who was called while free, is Christ's slave.

You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men.
I Corinthians 7:23

Bought with a price? A very high price at that!

So how have things been working for me? If I am “owned” by one party and living as though I own my own life and lease and/or invest parts of my life to others for various benefits, how is it right for me to expect things to work out? In reality, I suppose, being a slave of men (even if it is myself) isn’t as attractive as it first seems.

The first rule in climbing out of a hole is to quit digging and to put down the shovel. Before I can “free” myself from the slavery of men, I must begin by really returning to the God who bought me. For, not only did He buy me, but he cleansed me and made me fit to become a temple of the Holy God; the Holy Spirit.

The reality of that fact cannot be witnessed by others in me until I accept the reality of that truth in faith and to begin to live the unfettered, widely adventurous life that God has bought me for.

No comments: