Monday, December 21, 2009

Images

When I look in a mirror I see the same person I have seen for many years now. When I look across the room at my lovely wife, I see the same wonderful women that I have seen many, many times. So what do I see when I look at God?

The image that I see of myself in the mirror is quite different, in many ways, from the image that I see across the room. Both are images; both are significantly different.

The image that I see when I look at God is first:

- one that looks exactly like Jesus. This is why our investing time with the scripture is so vital,

- one that looks like the collection of the redeemed. This is why scripture exhorts us to “not forsake the gathering together of the saints”, and

- one that looks completely different from any other image ever seen or known. This is why scripture calls us to “be still (or cease striving) and know that I am God”.

God is not far off. He is not hiding; He is not playing games with you! He’s just not like that. It was “that when we were sinners Jesus died” for us. If that isn’t love and intimate pursuit there never was such a thing.

So now, what is the image that you have of our God? We all tend to shrink His image to one that we can understand. I encourage you to grab hold of the avenues for obtaining a realistic presence.

No comments: