Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wild but True

And the four living creatures, each one of them having six wings, are full of eyes around and within; and day and night do not cease to say, “Holy, Holy, Holy is the lord God, the Almighty, who was and who is and who is to come.”

And when the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, to Him who lives forever and ever, the twenty-four elders will fall down before Him who sits on the throne, and will worship Him who lives forever and ever, and will cast their crowns before the throne saying, “ Worthy are You, our Lord, and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You did create all things and because of Your will they existed and were created.”
Revelation 4:8-11


The thought occurred to me this week that if the Almighty God of the universe simply turned His back on man after the first sin and never considered man again, yet, He would still be worthy of our praise, adoration and wonder! This led me to the above scripture in which created beings that have been no where but in heaven before God’s throne, worship Him “day and night”.

If God had done nothing for us, yet He would be worthy of praise! He is worthy in who He is; outside of what He has done!

Worthy of worship and devotion beyond what he Has done:

Redeemed me through Jesus
Given me a loving, mostly healthy family
Surrounded me with friends
Provided a church family second to none
Given our family a home; a warm home.
Protected me for endless troubles
Given me work and income
Sheltered our “things” from theft and from deterioration
Provided us with transportation
Speaks to even me!
On and on the list goes.

Yes, even if, on that day in the Garden of Eden instead of asking. “Adam where are you?” Instead, He would have said, “Adam, I know here you are!” And then He turned and walked away forever. Yet, He would still be worthy of all praise and honor.

The story goes on:

As Jesus was dying on the cross, He exclaimed: “My God My God why have you forsaken me?”

Almighty God did not turn His back on Adam. He turned His back on Jesus so that He could turn His face toward me.


Habakkuk understands the deeper truth:

Though the fig tree should not blossom and there be no fruit on the vines,
though the yield of the olive should fail and the fields produce not food,
though the flock should be cut off from the fold and there be no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will exult in the Lord, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.
The Lord is my strength and He has made my feet like hinds’ feet
-and makes me walk on my high places.
Habakkuk 3:17-19

In the midst of one of the most tragic events of any single life, Gods’ servant Job, made the following statement:

Though He slay me, I will hope in Him! Job 13:15

Perhaps we have too much? Perhaps our expectations have been stretched beyond all reasonableness?

Is it possible for us to return to the bare truth of the worthiness of the Living God to receive our adoration and worship?

Come before Him and see His glory!

No comments: