Sunday, September 7, 2008

Big Enough For Your Needs?

How big is your God?

The quick answer is generally not the real answer. Think about your concept of how big you God is truthfully.

We all tend, over time, to form God in our image. As we whittle Him down to the size of our image, so goes our faith, diminishing to barely a faint whisper. As our faith fades so does our prayer life.

The bottom line then is: the answer to the first question is the temperature of your prayer life.

It is worthless to determine to pray more or to read the Bible more. Our determinations fade quickly. The only change that can really make any difference is for us to begin to comprehend how big our God is!

O Lord, You have searched me and known me, You understand my thoughts from afar. You scrutinize my paths and my lying down and are intimately aquatinted with all my ways. Even before there is a word on my tongue, behold, O Lord, You know it all.

You have enclosed me behind and before and laid Your hand upon me, such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is too high, I cannot attain to it.

Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in the depths, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the dawn, if I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, even there Your right hand will lay hold of me.

How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand. When I am awake, I am still with You.

Psalm 139:1-10, 17-18

This same God, whom the psalmist describes as intimately desirous of relationship with us, knows us best yet loves us the most.

Let’s take a peek at one display of God’s bigness:

The book of Genesis informs us that God simply spoke into existence everything that we see and everything that we fail to see.

Steve Green, in his book entitled “Hymns: A portrait of Christ”[1], writes:

Looking at the universe gives us a sense of perspective. The nearest star, our sun is 93 million miles from earth. If the sun were hollow, it could contain 1-½ million spheres the size of earth.

Light travels at 186,000 miles per second, and the nearest star beyond the sun is 4 ½ light years away. There are approximately 100 billion stars in our galaxy, and with the most powerful telescope on earth scientists have discovered some 200 million other galaxies…

Sir James Jeans, the British astronomer, stated that there are probably as many stars in the universe as there are grains of sand on every beach in the world.

I can almost hear David whispering in awe, “Great it the Lord and most worth of praise; His greatness no on can fathom.” Psalm 145:3

Jesus invites you to consider His bigness. Your mind wasn’t created to handle this; your heart is the place of discovery for God’s bigness!

It won’t come to you quickly, but it will come to you if you seek Him. He enjoys sharing Himself with you!



[1] Hymns, A portrait of Christ, Sparrow Press, How Great Thou Art

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In spite of what they tried to tell us in Bible College, I have never believed in a "worship theology." I figure if you can introduce people to God, let them press in to knowing Him, worship will be a natural response. How great He is!

Anonymous said...

There is an unreasoned prupose for Him to leave us as witnesses. He could have chosen so many other ways but, for our benefit, He chose to use us. As we witness we get to witness His power and His intamacy. THAT and only that will lead to true worhsip!