Friday, May 21, 2010

True Wealth

From the earliest of ages we all seek and struggle of something called independence. Throughout our lives we continue to receive inducements to achieve independence. These visions of independence generally follow the patterns of financial security, healthful well-being and self-determination brought about by the combination of the two.

Independence is a lie! There simply is no such thing within God's creation.

No one can serve two masters, Jesus said.(Luke 16:13) It was unnecessary to make the case that one had an option to simply not serve any master.

And He (Jesus) told them a parable, saying, "The land of a rich man was very productive.

And he began reasoning to himself, saying, 'What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?'

"Then he said, 'This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 'And I will say to my soul, "Soul, )you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry."'

"But God said to him, '(You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?'

"So is the man who)stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

And He said to His disciples, "For this reason I say to you, do not worry about your life, as to what you will eat; nor for your body, as to what you will put on.

"For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Luke 12:16-23

Apparently there is no middle ground. We either are rich toward God or we are rich toward our own ideas of success and comfort.

Jesus stated the truth more plainly:

"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. Matthew 16:25

Are you looking in the wrong places for real life? The things that seem to be so very attractive are just luring us to the desperate lives that most of our friends and neighbors and, so unfortunately most of our brothers and sisters in Jesus as well, are grasping after.

Who will you serve? Will you continue in the folly of seeking the mirage of independence or will you accept the true life offered; a life of total abandon; of complete surrender, of absolute desperation; the real life of reckless adventure?

The way is narrow that leads to life; the way is broad that leads to destruction.

Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. Matthew 7:13

No comments: