Monday, January 11, 2010

New Year or New Life?

I am never ceased to be amazed of how our God provides what we need. Just today I was flooded with His grace as I was considering what to send out to you as a brief message. It seemed every time I turned around today there was another message to share. I will start with this one:

I had just finished my workout this morning when I walked by one of the personal trainers that I know who work in the place where I workout. I asked him, "So are you staying busy with all of the people who want to get back in shape?" His response is what struck me, "Yea, I keep busy, what I can't figure out is how to get them to listen to what I say."

Sure, they listen to his instructions as they are working out together, what he is saying is that they expect him to absolve them from all responsibility. "I paid you to help me get thinner but it isn't happening" is the type of thing he is talking about.

So this occurred to me:

Jesus said, "You call me lord, lord but you don't do what I say".

Do we listen to Him only when things work for us or when it is convenient to our otherwise self-planned life?

Jesus said, "I have come that you may have life and have it to the full".

So do you hear Him?

Jesus said, "I am the vine you are the branches if you cling to me you will bear much fruit".

Do you understand His invitation to "cling" to Him?

Jesus said, "Abide in Me and I in You" and "the things I do you shall do and greater things shall you do because I go to the Father."

Is there room in your life or in your theology to "Abide in" (or live in) Him?

Jesus said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.

Are your ears still open?

Please, please, please note that this message is not about your "doing"; it is about your "believing". The "doing" will never lead us to life, "doing" is only the RESULT of the life obtained by truly believing.

The words of Jesus that state "but you don't do what I say" are in response to His statement about people claiming He is Lord.

If we truly believe in His lordship then it would directly result in our trusting Him that what He as said is for our best interest. This is, after all, why He came!

Isn't it time that you fully surrendered? Is He really Lord, Lord?

No comments: