Monday, October 12, 2009

THE EDGE IS THE CENTER!

You shall make no other gods before Me. Exodus 20:3

How is it possible to walk on the edge and still be in the middle? It isn't easy unless you see it the way our God sees it. The edge of our comfort zone is the exact center of God's will.

Romans 1:17 says "The righteous man shall live by faith".

We have exchanged the desire to live God's way for our comfort. We far prefer to be secure and unembarrassed than to live on the "lighted path". "Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path" Psalm 119:105

If we in fact have chosen our comfort, security and pride over knowing God in a personal way have we not chosen another god? You see we can not possible KNOW the truth of the Bible until we put it into action! Striving after anything over God's heart for the lost is idolatry, nothing short.

So where does that leave us? Frustrated at our work, or lack of personal time or accomplishments, or with our kids or our wife. Being unsettled; lacking deep peace is a spiritual indication that something is out of alignment!

"Mother" Theresa said, "we will never know that Jesus is all you need until Jesus is all we have".

This applies to this issue because EVERYONE seems to think that "I don't know enough about scripture" to witness or "no one I know would be interested" and “I wouldn't do a very good job and might mess it up". Sound at all familiar?

Jesus said, “The Helper, the Holy Spirit…will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you” John 14:26

Do we believe that? NO! Let me ask again, do we really believe that?

There is a quantitative difference between the belief that we commonly think of and the belief of the Bible. I have used this story to display the difference:

"If I were to place a rickety old chair in the middle of the room and ask you if you believe that it will hold you when you sit on it, it would be very easy to say “yes”. If on the other hand, I asked you to sit on the chair we would quickly discover whether or not you truly believed that it would hold you!"

So do you truly believe Jesus when he says, that the Holy Spirit will give you everything you need when you need it? We will never know that Jesus is enough; until Jesus is all we have. Dare to walk on the edge of your comfort zone. That is where true life is located. “…I have come that you may have life, and have it to the full” John 10:10

Jesus gives us both side of the picture in a very familiar scripture. I encourage you to not walk past this too fast because of the familiarity. Consider what the Master says: “Whoever wishes to save his life shall lose I; but whoever loses his life for My sake shall find it”. Matthew 16:25-26

Choose life!

No comments: